Friday, September 16, 2011

I surprised myself, making this

I thought I'd post a picture of something I made. My sister was at my house the other day. She said, "Hey, if you ever learn to make one of those sugar and creamer sets you put on your table, I'd like to have one". I laughed at her and said, "Well, maybe someday when I am good enough, I have not seen a video on making those to be able to do them". But, tonight as I was at the wheel, I was thinking about it... thinking about what size I would make. I had about 1 1/2 pds of clay on the wheel at the time, turning it into a cylinder and I thought "hey, maybe I could make a sugar dish... who knows"? And ... so I did.

And here is what it looked like....

















I somehow managed to make the shape in the mouth of the jar for a lid and I thought, "Now how in the world will I made a lid"? I have no calipers yet either as the ceramic supplier was out of them.



















So, I grabbed a lump of clay and started with a lid.


















I was so amazed I did that! I used one of my quilting rulers to measure the mouth of the jar for the lid, and then measured the lid too. I ended up trimming the lid once it was leather hard and I could try it on the jar because it was a little too wide for the lip of the jar. I was so tickled! I surprised myself with this one.

Then... I had the thought to make the little milk jar... and so I got busy throwing a cylinder again.. and here is the milk jar.


















Here is a better pic of the lip of the milk jar.





















It may not be the most pretty, but to me it's pretty cause it's my own creation! This is what I am looking forward to... doing my own thing with clay!

I'll update later today.. I have to get the pics of what it looked like when I got finished. I added a handle to the milk jar and then took my clay extruder and  made some dainty swirly lines around the jars. Looked sort of Victorian if you ask me!

Thanks so much for subscribing, if you have... and if not, please do. If not... thanks yall for stopping by to read my updates!

2 comments:

  1. They look great, Sonja! Let those creative juices flow. I can't wait to see the new pics with your design on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks Mikol! I appreciate that so much! I am trying really hard! I'll be getting some pics tomorrow so I can update here and show you what the design looks like on them. I had a busy day! Thanks so much for stopping by and checking my pottery out. It's greatly appreciated. Hope you are doing well, we need to catch up sometime :)

    ReplyDelete