Saturday, October 1, 2011

First Bisque Firing

Started the kiln at 1:13pm this afternoon for my first Bisque firing. The firing ended at 8:39pm. With the cool temps here tonight I should be able to open that kiln in the morning. Well, I am hoping anyway. I've been throwing clay pretty much all evening. I've thrown about 6 cups. I applied a ribbon for breast cancer onto two cups only later to find out the cups were split in the inside. I could have cried! But... that's how you learn, trial and error. So next time, I'll make sure the cups are a little dry and then scuff the cups up and apply. Those two cups were my favorite too.

I threw two soup bowls as well. I think Stevebootanceramics did this on a YouTube video and I liked it, so I decided to try it with my red clay the other day and it turned out great. I think though I need to go watch some more. I don't know what I'd do with those friends on YouTube who show the techniques because I wouldn't have been able to afford all those lessons. I'll always be so indebted to them and appreciate them!

Here are some pictures of what I threw tonight. They are in groups. The pics aren't great considering there is no natural sunlight coming in the room.


                          


















I will be back tomorrow hopefully with a video of this first bisque firing. So hoping everything worked out. I had a great night of throwing, it was so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment